HFS simply could not operate without the hard work, skills and passion that our volunteers bring to the charity every day.
Why volunteer at HFS?
- Help our charity re-use and recycle over 300 tons of furniture and appliances every year
- Help create inviting stores full of great quality secondhand furniture and homewares
- Help furnish the homes of low-income households and fight furniture poverty across Rother
- Work towards a greener planet, promote sustainability and encourage others to ‘Say no to new!’
- Gain new skills and increase your employability
- Meet new people and make new friends
- Use your knowledge and experience to make a real difference in your local community
Our volunteer roles
- Join our van team and collect/deliver furniture and electrical goods across Rother
- Arrange goods in the store, create displays and pick out items for delivery
- Operate the till and help customers with their enquiries
- Answer the phone and book in collections and deliveries
- Use eBay to generate sales. Please click here for more information
- Assist with PR, marketing and social media
- Run an HFS stall at community events
- PAT test donated electrical items
- Join our Board of Trustees
What we offer volunteers
At HFS we aim to provide a welcoming, diverse workplace with supportive staff who want volunteers to enjoy their time at the charity and achieve their own personal goals.
Whether your target is to help boost the reuse of secondhand furniture, to gain new skills, increase your employability, improve your communication skills or simply to meet new people and make a difference in your local community, we will do everything we can to help you get there.
Our staff rooms are stocked with free refreshments for our hard-working volunteers and provide space to unwind, socialize and even play pool!
We also pay expenses so that volunteers are not out of pocket from giving us their time.
Volunteering and your benefits
You can volunteer at HFS if you’re receiving benefits such as JSA, ESA and Universal Credit as long as you also undertake any activities, such as job searching, training or other requirements identified by your Job Centre Plus adviser.
Volunteering can count for up to 50% of the time that your are expected to spend looking for a job and there is no limit on the number of hours you can volunteer each week. There is more detailed information here www.gov.uk/guidance/volunteering-and-claiming-benefits
Want to find out more about volunteering with HFS?
You can drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call on our volunteer phone line 07845 941296 and we will do our best to answers any questions you might have and/or set up a taster session in one of our stores.
We look forward to hearing from you!